Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cutting Room Floor

So--for those of you who were anxiously awaiting my makeover reveal on network--well, online--television tomorrow, you'll have to stay a-waiting. My segment, you see, has ended up on the cutting room floor.
 

Now, as an editor, I know how often even the things you think are working don't end up working. Whether it's minutes or seconds or whole scenes that need to be cut, you do the cutting because it makes the product better. Or shorter. Or more suited to the needs of the audience, or the producers, or the network. That's what we editors do, and if things are left on the cutting room floor, they weren't meant to be--at least not in the project at hand. One of the hardest things about editing (or any type of creative work, really) is letting things go. Even if our work isn't always brilliant, it is our work, and we get attached. But in order to do better work, we need to keep honing, keep adjusting--keep letting go and moving forward.
 

This time around, my makeover and my appearance in front of the camera weren't meant to be. Perhaps there'll be another time. Meanwhile, I'll just keep editing, in work and in life--leaving plenty of things, I'm sure, on the cutting room floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment