Sunday, July 19, 2015

Freelancer Weekend

This morning, I emailed two resumes. I know--it is Saturday. Those resumes will go into inboxes of people who might currently be at the beach. Or they will land in inboxes that aren't even checked during non-work hours. My letters will sit, unconsidered, maybe even unseen, until Monday.
 

The weekend is not always a freelancer's friend. When you're working five weekdays, you may be grateful for the break, for the change in routine. When you have already spent too many weekday hours sleeping or catching up on your reading, trying to make connections, or just generally homemaking, the weekend can feel like simply an extension. If you write emails during the week, why shouldn't you write them on the weekend? If your brain is in job search mode during the week, why should that stop, just because you've reached the day called Saturday?
 

Today, I emailed two resumes. While they may not even be seen until Monday, they are out in the world, because for me, the weekend is no reason to stop putting myself out in the world. But having sent them, I guess I am now ready to go out in the world. It is the weekend, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment