Thursday, September 13, 2012

Closing Doors, Opening Windows

It has finally become cool enough to stop using our air conditioner every minute of every day, which is good, because AC is like insult to injury for an unemployed person.  You're no longer going to your lovely air-conditioned workplace, where someone else pays the AC bill AND since you're at home all day, you spend all the money you're NOT making on your own air-conditioning bill.  (And as an added bonus, you get telemarketers calling you every day about switching your electricity provider, promising they'll save you money on your AC bill!)

But this is not a blog about air conditioning.  It's a blog about doors and windows, well, proverbial ones, at least.

When One Life to Live ended after so many years of it and so many years of me at it, a door definitely closed.  The door from the studio to the lobby, which you closed very slowly during taping so as not to contaminate the audio track.  The giant door to the loading ramp, where all manner of sets and props came in and out every day.  The door from the set to the control room where I went back and forth from talking to cast and crew in person to talking over headset and watching them on a wall full of monitors.

But as I sit at home with the AC off, windows open, I can't help but think of all the "windows" that have opened since the day those doors closed.  While exploring a transition to children's TV, I have met a whole new group of people through Women in Children's Media.  I have had the opportunity to edit for a reality show and the time to learn some After Effects.  I have been available physically and mentally to help my kids with school transitions.  I have found the inspiration to write.

The traditional "one door closes" idea would suggest "end one job, start another you might never have thought of."  That hasn't quite happened yet, but in the meantime, though I really, REALLY miss those doors, I try each day to keep all the windows open and enjoy the "fresh air."

No comments:

Post a Comment