Friday, September 28, 2012

Monthiversary

It was one month ago today that I started publishing this blog, and I thank all of you who have been reading every day (or even every few days--hey, I worked on a soap, I know viewers skip days).  Feel free--no, I mean, FEEL FREE--to share the link with your friends.  Maybe they'll also find something they can relate to.

When I started the blog, I didn't plan how long it would go.  I just started, knowing that because of the soap reference, it would be daily, and then I set it in motion, which is, I guess, how many soap operas started.

My own career in soaps--television, for that matter--started much the same way.  A lucky break gave my first job, and things were set in motion.  I never thought when I started as a production secretary, "Oh, I'll be a producer or a director, or a writer."  I just started.  I worked hard.  I made mistakes and learned from them.  I laughed when I could.  And when opportunities arose, I jumped in.  And before I knew it, 23 years of promotions and firing and coming back and memories and good friends had happened.

I don't imagine that this blog will last for 23 years.  Hey, it doesn't even earn me the $234 per week I was making when I started as a production secretary.  But as I learned then, you can never be totally sure where something will lead once you set it in motion.  I never thought I'd get to direct on a soap or believed I'd have actual Emmys in my apartment.  I never, never dreamed I'd work with Bill Cosby or that doing so would come out of being fired from a job I loved.  And yet, all these things happened from what was set in motion that day when I started at One Life to Live, typing (on a typewriter, not a computer) production schedules, buying groceries, and delivering scripts.  So I guess you never know what will come from this blog.  Thanks for sharing the ride so far with me.  I'll try to keep it a really bumpy, really interesting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment