Thursday, September 20, 2012

Show Black

Today, I had the privilege of traveling to New Jersey to help a friend shoot a talk show.  As I dressed to go, I found myself choosing all black, "show black," as we used to call it when I was working on COSBY.  On show taping days, crew were supposed to wear black so as not to distract the actors or the studio audience, and to minimize our being caught on camera.

For me, the whole idea somehow heightened the excitement of the whole experience.  It made me feel like part of a team and made taping day a special day, the day when we "baked the cake" that we'd been mixing all week.

So today, dressed in "show black," I headed out to New Jersey, not entirely sure which of my hats I'd be wearing there, just knowing that a friend had a project, that he'd asked me, and that it would be a chance to step back into the studio atmosphere I'd missed so much.

And what hat DID I wear?  Well, several, actually.  A bit of wardrobe, a bit of PA, a bit of producer.  A little stage manager, a little AD, a little runner.  And by the end of my time there, I had a hat to take home--editor.

I am heading to a networking event tonight, and I have dressed up a little, but still with my "show black" underneath.  I'm not ready to take it off.  Thanks to a friend who had a dream and asked me to come along, I got to "play" in a studio for a day.  I'm holding on to that for as long as I can--until the next time I get to put on my "show black."


No comments:

Post a Comment