Saturday, September 29, 2012

Moving On

When soap life ended, one of my colleagues moved to North Carolina.  Another applied to grad school in education and is now working toward being a teacher.  Whether because they'd found different callings or they were simply looking toward the future, they moved on.

While I thought at the time that I was moving on too--networking through Women in Children's Media, attending Director's Guild events to expand both my knowledge and my connections, and learning some After Effects, I am beginning to think that "moving on" needs to mean a little more.  For while in my head, I have believed that I can move on to other forms of television, the reality (no pun intended) is that "moving on" may mean something other than just shifting genres.  My colleagues who moved on looked at their skills and their lives and made choices that depended not on the transferability of skills on a resume but on their innate skills or what they wanted for their lives, be it a desire to help others or a desire for a slower, simpler life.  Underlying it all, they had the bravery to make the leap from the known to the relatively unknown.  While I've thought I was moving on, I think perhaps I was moving in a circle, following only the path of the items on my resume, networking too close to home, trapped in the patterns I've worked within for so many years.

So from today, the circle gets bigger.  Editing starts to mean storytelling, storytelling means putting together pieces to entertain or educate.  Directing means working with people, encouraging their strengths and making them a team.  Producing means covering the bases to get the job done, and writing means using the words to put out any number of messages.  Bottom line, no video necessary, no need to see my work on TV.  My skills go farther than that.  I'm moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment