Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Commitment

I have spent many years being the person who was running around so much, no one ever saw me stand still long enough to ask me to commit to anything.  I showed up when I could, and that was enough.  It HAD to be enough.

Now that I am not just dropping off and running or picking up and running, people are asking me to commit--to take a part in what's going on.  Nothing terribly huge, but a commitment nonetheless.


It's not that I never wanted to commit before.  It's just that there was never any time. I was committed to my family and committed to my job, and there was not much more of me to commit to anything else.


Now that I have slowed down enough to be asked, I almost don't know how to react. Will I keep moving this slowly and still have the time for the commitment? And is it possible that even if I don't keep moving slowly, I should be committing anyway?  Is it simply part of being a responsible adult?  A part that I have somehow avoided in my mad dash of work?  I look around and see how many things get done because people, no matter what their circumstances, commit to making sure they DO get done.  So, who am I to stand on the sidelines, waiting for what might be, instead of engaging in what is?


For years, I have committed to my work and my family, and I will continue to do so. But now it's time to start committing to a few other things.  To take this slowed down time as the opportunity to say yes, to commit to being part of the rest of what's around me. To being a part of how things get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment