Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Soap Towns and Villages

It's hard for anyone from the soap world not to feel a little excited today--our medium made it into the New York Times, which has, in my experience, not happened very often.  And, to make it even better, there will be new production in the New York area, a cause that is near and dear to many soap folks' hearts.
 

I don't know what this will all mean for me.  But today, after many days of approaching my job exploration in an often isolated way, I was reminded that I am part of a community, or perhaps several communities.  Just as it takes a proverbial village to raise a child (and, believe me, I've seen that over and over with my own children), it kind of takes a village to do a lot of things--at least if you want to do them well.  So, while I have been exploring new villages of children's book writers and moms who pick up their kids and reality show staffers, I forgot a bit about the villages I already had, villages that sustained me for years and brought people into my life that I'd love to share a village with again.  The great thing about both the people who help you raise your children and the people who help you raise your career is that they never really go away.  They leave a mark that stays with you.
 

I imagine that there will still be hours filled with the isolated work of finding exactly where I fit in these days.  But it is nice to remember that I am no more alone than I have ever been as a parent.  It takes a village to raise a child, and it sure doesn't hurt to have a village when you're the one who needs the bringing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment