Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Quiet

My kids went back to school today.  It wasn't easy.  After ten days of sleeping in, 5:00am for me and 6:00am for them was really early, but we did it, and with the exception of one bus being late and one being early, it all went pretty smoothly.

I thought I would be glad to have the apartment back to myself for the day.  No computer game sounds, no sibling fights that I had to mediate.  And the desk and the computer all to myself.

So, I came home from bus dropoffs, my son's scooter in hand, sat down at the computer, checking in with job sites and Facebook friends.  It was really quiet.  Really, really quiet.

It was a productive day (well, not according to my written schedule--I didn't follow it too closely), but as lunchtime passed, and I ate alone, I found myself watching the clock for when it would be time to meet buses.  I was finally free of kid chaos, and I couldn't wait to have it back!

When everyone was back from school, there was some chaos, but judging by the fact that the kids largely got along and were happy to do assorted projects at home, I think maybe they missed me (or at least the vacation togetherness) a little too.

Before we know it, we will be inundated with activities again, and I am sure that then, I really will appreciate the quiet.  But for today, I'd much rather appreciate my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment