Thursday, January 10, 2013

One Day, Many Me's

I put my kids on their school buses this morning, as I do every day.  Then I took my dressed-up self to a screening program called Prix Jeunesse Suitcase, where I spent several hours watching children's television shows from all over the world (thinking great thoughts about how I might someday be involved with making such programs), pausing every so often to read or answer a job search related email.  After a brief stop at home to process a bit more job search stuff, I met my daughter to take her to her Guys and Dolls rehearsal, then spent the time she was there acquiring a multi-part birthday present for her friend.  Then home to serve dinner, and, oh, have a phone conversation with an editing client and another with a former co-worker about the state of the OLTL online venture.  So, who exactly was I today?
 

The day that I have described is probably no crazier than that of any working mom, and I am certainly no stranger to crazy days.  What was interesting to me about today was not so much how many things I did, but how many different people I was during the day.  From mom, to children's media professional, to mom again, to personal shopper, to chef (okay, not really, I did takeout!), to freelancer, to used to be soaper. Oh, and now, to blogger.
 

There are days when the "me's" flow seamlessly together. Today, it felt almost as though I was living separate days, completely in one world, then completely in another. Which, I guess, is evidence of my dedication to each, AND is the reason I'm a bit tired.  If each of these things was like a different day, it's been hundreds of hours since I got up this morning!
 

The glory of having so many "me's," however, is that they allow me to learn about and experience an enormous variety of things.  Were I not a children's media professional (at least an aspiring one), I would never even know about children's TV in other countries and how I can see some of it here.  Had I not spent this last year freelancing, I would not have had the mind-opening, edit-stretching experiences, (not to mention, between-gig stress) that I've had. Were I not a former soaper, I would not have the enormous base of friends/coworkers who, I am reminded every day, helped make me who I am.
 

On a day like today, I re-decide many times where in the world I will end up, usually starting the decision process all over again tomorrow.  It is too late tonight to decide anything.  I'm just glad to see I still have many "me's" worth of options.

No comments:

Post a Comment