Saturday, January 19, 2013

Network/Net Worth

It's easy to feel very alone in the job exploration process.  A friend of mine said recently that Americans, more so than people in any other country, define themselves by their work. The by-product of this phenomenon is that when we are not working steadily, or at something we are proud to call our own, we are a little bit lost, unable to define exactly who we are and where we fit.  So we try to fit in a lot of places, reworking our list of skills and keywords so that it lines up with the things that come along.
 

The good news is that, every so often, you come across people who help.  Who, either because they know you, or because they recognize parts of your background, know exactly where you fit.  Sometimes it's exactly where you fit before, and sometimes it's someplace new, but either way, it is a welcome change from the square peg/round hole status quo.  In a culture where we are defined by our work, this is more than just a gift of employment.  It's a gift of identity.
 

For quite some time, I have been forwarding job leads to many people with whom I've worked (to the point that many of them suggested I work in Human Resources).  I can't say that most of my leads have actually gotten anybody anything, but I keep doing it.  Why wouldn't I want to share the talents of people I've enjoyed working with?  Why wouldn't I want to share whatever I can with people who have made my work life better?
 

And, in some ways, that's what networking is all about.  It may not replace handing out business cards and working your LinkedIn account, but it comes much closer to putting forth the real you than any handshake and 2x3 piece of card stock could.
 

So, I will continue to play "agent" (as people have called me), and I will continue to thank goodness for the people who "get me" and "get me in." No amount of keyword matches will ever match that.

No comments:

Post a Comment