Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Note

New Note. That's what the notes app on my iPod says when I start writing a blog post there.  When I started this blog, I was a die-hard write it by hand first person.  Little by little, however, I have begun to compose electronically. Perhaps I've been inspired by my daughter's composing hundreds of stories on her own iPod, or perhaps I've been motivated by the need for efficiency, when many days, I don't write until late.
 

Whatever the reason, I start by looking at a screen blank except for "New Note." On the days when I haven't yet settled on a topic, it's overwhelming.  On the days when the idea is already living in my head, my thumbs fly on the tiny keyboard, faster even than when I used to compose on paper, barely even aware of "New Note."
 

The truth is, every day starts as a "New Note" in our lives, if we let it.  Each day, we have a chance to start something brand new.  For me, there are days when that's exciting, and days when it is terrifying. On the one hand, it would be nice to know exactly what I'd be facing each morning--where I'd be going, who I'd see or talk to, how I'd define myself, who'd call or write.  On the other hand, there's something very freeing about being able to start over each morning, not bound by the failures of yesterday.  And not resting on yesterday's successes.  This blog may be a daily reminder to do something new, but if I have been using my time well, there have been many "New Notes" in my day before I ever sit down to write. Because starting a new note each day is not just about writing a blog.  It's about a way of living.
 

Oh, and speaking of "New Notes," notwashedupyet crossed the 7000 pageviews mark today.  Thanks for reading And may your tomorrow be full of "New Notes."

No comments:

Post a Comment