Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I Don't Feel No Ways Tired

My husband would take exception with this title, as he, a night person, rarely sees me, a morning person, NOT tired. But no matter, a title is a title, and since I am, in fact, writing today before I've gotten tired, it works, even if it bears no resemblance to how I talk.  Or write.
 

The title is actually a line from a song used on One Life to Live. Many years ago, in an effort to attract a more diverse audience, the show introduced rap and gospel music storylines.  I don't remember much about the rap story, but the central song from the gospel portion, sung at the time by the fantastic Valerie Pettiford, has stuck with me for close to 20 years.
 

"I don't feel no ways tired. I've come too far from where I started from. Nobody told me that the road would be easy.  I don't believe he's brought me this far to leave me."
 

Say what you want about the religious part (it WAS part of a gospel storyline).  The rest of it is empowering both on good days and on bad ones.  It celebrates what you've already accomplished, and how that can keep you going to the next step.
 

All too often, we focus on the shortcomings of now, rather than the strengths of days past.  Chances are, no matter where we are today, we HAVE come a long way, either personally, professionally, or both.  So, to stop now, because we've wearied of the current journey--that would be like giving up all that progress.  And whether you consider "I don't believe he's brought me this far to leave me" religious or not, it is a reminder that we all have company--supporters in our daily journeys and struggles.
 

So, I imagine I will still be singing this song another 20 years from now.  It resonates as strongly for me today as it did back then.  The road may not always be easy, but I've got friends and good music to keep me company.

No comments:

Post a Comment