Monday, June 17, 2013

An Honor To Be Nominated

One Life to Live's winning the editing Emmy was quite the talk at work today. It was an exciting thing for me and my fellow editor Teresa there to bridge the gap between what was and what is, and to talk about getting our shiny new statues in the mail this summer.
 

I have often written about how the recognition of what I do tends to be less important to me than the actual process of doing the work, and the team with whom I work, and by and large, I do find that to be true. But in an odd way, winning an Emmy, and talking about winning an Emmy, put a spring in my editing step today. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely an honor to be nominated, but winning felt like a validation of both our work and of the life still left in the shows.
 

As I was watching online updates during the Daytime Emmys last night, I kept coming across a headline "What is an Emmy worth?" While I never got around to reading the answer to that question, I suspect that it talked about recognition, credibility, and possibly money. I can't say that this new Emmy will be worth any of those to me, but even if it's not an indicator of what WILL be, it is a reminder perhaps of what COULD be. And "could be" is often the thing that keeps us going when things are difficult and times are uncertain. So, I figure, if this Emmy can be my reminder of the "could be's," I'll take it (okay, yes, I'd take it anyway). Because we all need to keep sight of the things that COULD be in our lives. They will help us survive the uncertainties and frustrations--and we all have those--of all the things that just ARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment