Friday, June 28, 2013

Good Day, Good Job

In the year that I was sending out a hundred resumes a month, I read constantly that resumes were being read largely by computers, and I worked hard to make adjustments so that I would hit all the right keywords. But the truth is, so much of what a person is worth doesn't show up in the keywords. I may know every desired computer program, have "producer" in one of my titles. I may have numbers galore to quantify my accomplishments. But none of these things really gives a full picture of me. I've got "tricks up my sleeve" that just can't be conveyed in the words.

Today, I checked my email, only to find pictures of my son fishing. I had left home in the morning with some thoughts about possible activities for the kids and some money for executing those thoughts. Believe me, fishing was nowhere on that list. But my babysitter jumped off from my list, did a little research, and came up with something my son would like a whole lot more. She had "tricks up her sleeve." You can't put that kind of creativity on a keywordable resume, but that kind of creativity makes the difference between a mundane day and an exceptional one, and wouldn't we all rather go for exceptional?

I will not be able to change the job market system so that it rewards the creative. All I can do is remember that "creative" when I participate in the other most powerful part of the job process, networking. Then, perhaps, we'll all end up appreciating--and rewarding--the creativity around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment