Tuesday, June 18, 2013

It Must Be SOMEBODY'S Birthday!

Today, in honor of a co-worker's birthday, other co-workers brought in fried chicken lunch for the skeleton staff that remains during our hiatus. It was a welcome surprise in these days of no catering and craft services, and a nice excuse to take a break from work and actually have lunch as a group (well, actually a bunch of subgroups). And in the middle of it all, someone suggested that one of us should have a birthday every day, so that we could have an excuse for shared lunch on a regular basis.
 

All of this made me recall my first month at One Life to Live--the ABC version in New York. I was fresh (fresh, as in, less than a week) out of college, and in addition to having the job of my dreams, I arrived amidst a flurry of birthdays and a major show anniversary. So, during my first month working, there seemed to be cake almost every day, and less than two months in, I was going formal for an anniversary party at Tavern on the Green. Not a bad way to start your first job out of college.
 

Now, 25 years later, I am "breaking bread" with a largely different group of people on a largely similar (yet oddly different) production. I am no longer that week out of college kid, but the feeling of being part of a group--both during the stress of production and during the down time of a festive meal--is still a feeling I enjoy. So if someone wants to claim each of these days as a birthday, I'm all for it. Let the daily impromptu production party begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment