Monday, December 16, 2013

Blurring Days

When I was working in soaps, I worked maybe two Saturdays in twenty years. Saturdays were replacement days, or special shoot days, but either for logistical or for budgetary reasons, they were rare. Very rare.
 

These days, as a freelancer (and as someone working in news), I work a lot of Saturdays. I am actually surrounded by people who work Saturdays, Sundays, overnights, you name it. If there are shifts to be covered or money to be made, people are there. And whether on my part, it's for the money or for the experience, there I am, in the midst of it all.
 

What I find interesting, however, is how the blurring of the line between weekday and weekend is remarkably similar to the blurring when I was looking for work. In those months, though I knew nothing would happen on weekends, it didn't stop me from reading job listings early on a Saturday morning. While I might have been putting children on school buses during the week and letting them sleep late on the weekends, my head was in job search mode no matter what the day on the calendar.
 

Some might argue that such blurring is unhealthy, that we need to set boundaries that define our weeks. But, while I am fine with boundaries, I credit those months of blurred boundaries with giving me more flexibility and more of an open mind. Once I discovered that I could relax sometimes during the week or work sometimes on the weekends, the opportunities I could explore expanded, and my view of those opportunities expanded as well.
 

Realistically, I do have children, and their lives will continue to have things like school that define their weekdays and weekends. Nevertheless, if my working and non-working experiences can give me--and them--a broader idea of defining time, I figure we will all be better off. After all, it's not nearly as much about the day of the week as it is about a week filled with good days, whether they are Tuesdays, or Thursdays. Or Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment