Friday, December 27, 2013

Wanted

One year ago today, when job prospects were once again looking bleak, I got an out of the blue call on my cell. Turned out the rumor I'd read in the press about the revival of the soaps was not just a rumor. People I knew were involved, and they wanted me. They wanted me.

Isn't that what any job search is really all about? While we certainly want a job to pay the bills and make us feel fulfilled (or at least reasonably satisfied) on a daily basis, when we are looking for one, aren't we really just looking for someone to want us?

So, on that day one year ago, while I remember wondering about the money and the setup and the time frame and the possible travel involved, mostly I remember the excitement of getting that call in the first place. Of feeling that if I was called on my vacation (of course, with cell phones, who even knew I was on vacation?), I must really be wanted.

A year has passed, and, of course, that venture came and went. It's hard to believe the call was just a year ago, a call that both excited me and tied me in knots, a call that led to five months of work, time with good people, and a feeling of having been part of something special.

But we move on. And, lo and behold, when we search some more, if we are lucky, we find new places. Places where, once again, we are wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment