Saturday, December 28, 2013

Spending Patterns

It seems that every time we leave the city, we are compelled to shop. Not only are other parts of the country cheaper, they involve having a car to tote your purchases, which makes the whole experience a generally more civilized and less back-breaking one.

There have been years when I returned to the city with half a new wardrobe. There have been years when I traveled back with party favors for multiple kid birthday celebrations. There was last year, when budget dictated that the "treasures" were limited to groceries. And now, there is this year, when it appears that I have lost all ability to acquire anything for anyone except my kids. I don't know if it's my joy at seeing them get a treat (particularly after the months when that was necessarily limited). It could be my inability to think about things for myself unless I am actually by myself (which doesn't happen much on a family vacation). Or maybe, just maybe, it's a sign that I am actually satisfied with the way things are right now.

It's not that I wear the most up to date clothes. But I have the pieces and parts to be comfortable and presentable. I am not toting every top of the line gadget. But I am able to keep in touch and in tune. My home is well stocked with both the functional and the cute. Which makes me equipped to do and to enjoy. So, while the process of shopping may still be fun, and the feeling that I can shop, if not with abandon, at least without worry, is a good one, the idea that my spending patterns might mean I'm at a moment of satisfaction in my life--I think that's the best of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment