Friday, December 20, 2013

Lists

I made a list this morning. In general, I am not a list-maker--my memory is fairly good, and what needs to get done gets done. Nevertheless, I dutifully typed a list in my smartphone notes--errands, bills to pay, emails to send. Lists help you get things done, right?
 

It is now more than twelve hours later, and when I opened my notes to start this blog, there was my list of ten things. Ten things, and so far, one done. Yes, one. What can I say? The days are busy. So much for lists helping me get things done.
 

So, why bother making lists?
 

In my case, taking the time to make the list gives me some control over the items on it. It forces me to step away from the things I do automatically, and focus on the things that are not so automatic. Inevitably, writing down some reminds me of others, so that, even if not everything gets checked off in the course of the day, things that could be easily overlooked are now on the radar. And the list keeps them that way. There is so much in our lives that we do automatically. Stepping back to make sure we do the not so automatic things reminds us that we, not our day-to-day circumstances, are in control.
 

My list may get longer before it gets shorter--sometimes lists just work that way. But if each time I see it, I am steps closer to accomplishing what's on it, the time I took to make it will have been worthwhile. And maybe, just maybe, a few almost forgotten things will get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment