Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Same Eyes, Different Day

For as many years as I have been making the trip down the Eastern Shore, I don't remember ever seeing the sun set as I crossed the Chesapeake Bay. You could argue that I have never traveled at exactly the right time. Or perhaps I just never noticed. In any case, today, our crossing began with the sun making its way down and ended as it disappeared below the horizon, which, as you can imagine, was a beautiful thing. And something I don't remember ever noticing before.

When we arrived at my childhood home, my whole family immediately noticed the absence of a bush that has been at the foot of the driveway since they've been coming here--in fact, since I was a child. While the bush had become quite large for a bush, it was a small thing compared to a sunset. Yet, after years of it being the first thing we've seen upon arrival, it was a major thing. For some, perhaps more major than a sunset on the Chesapeake Bay.

On a daily basis, we see the same things in different ways. Some days, we are far too busy or preoccupied to notice a sunset, others, we are mesmerized by it. Some days, we barely notice the things that change in our surroundings, others, small changes are the first thing we see. The nice thing about this is that each day, we can approach life with new eyes. Eyes that see a sunset some days, and missing greenery others. Eyes that mourn life changes one day and celebrate those same life changes the next. Eyes that can see the good in each new adventure.

And eyes that every single day remember to be NOT WASHED UP YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment