Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cooking and Stewing

No, this is not a post about my cooking all weekend so as to have tasty at-home meals for every night of next week (though that would be a lovely idea!).
 

I am coming off a week during which I spent a lot of time stewing. Stewing about commitments, stewing about work situations, stewing about children and their progress. Not much forward movement, just a whole lot of stewing. Stewing (while perhaps valuable in a kitchen) doesn't accomplish much in life. In my week of stewing, I have written lists, looked at lists, and barely done the things on the lists. I have worried about kid stuff, fielded phone calls about kid stuff, and not really fixed kid stuff. I have thought about work, dreamed (nightmared?) about work, and not resolved things about work. A lot of stewing, but not a lot of cooking.
 

So now, after jumping around, like the food that is boiling in the pot after stewing too long, I am going to try to start cooking. While I am by no means a chef, I know that when I hear "cooking," there will be something to eat soon. I know that when I hear "cooking," there will be a result, not just a process. So now, it's time to start "cooking"--checking things off on those lists, and finding answers for the kid and work issues without letting them consume me. Cooking, so that I have something to show for it, and fast.
 

Because stewing might be good if you have all the time and patience in the world, but it's no good if you spend all your hours worrying about the pot and being hungry for the results. I will try to leave the stewing to someone else, thank you very much. It's time for me to start cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment