Wednesday, February 26, 2014

In A Year

Today, in the course of doing an errand, I walked by a place where I might have worked. It was a year ago when I thought about working there, and seeing the building brought home how much can happen in a year.
 

In that year, because I didn't work at that place, I spent 2 months pondering the differences between unemployed and looking and freelancing. In that year, I spent five months traveling to Connecticut for "soap camp," reconnecting with people from my past, and wondering what the whole experience would mean for my future. In that year, I interviewed for jobs I didn't get, and "fell into" a job that went from one day to many. In that year, I went from days structured around meeting school buses (and some structured around school bus strikes) to days when it is a challenge just to get home for dinner. In that year, I went from hours of sometimes glorious, sometimes painful, quiet to moments of quiet grabbed only in the early mornings.
 

A lot can happen in a year.  I could have ended up working at that building I passed today. At the time, it was an agonizingly hard decision not to try to work there. What a very different year it would have been had my decision been different.
 

Never underestimate the power of each decision you make. They can change your days. And your years.

No comments:

Post a Comment