Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day

I have lived through a lot of Valentine's Days. Ones with boxes of flimsy cards to a whole class, homemade doily projects, parties of red and pink, expectations of candy and roses. This year was no different--and yet, it was. Yes, I was surrounded by people talking about candy and roses and dates. And yes, my children came home with the flimsy paper Valentines and a new influx of candy (hey, we finally finished the Halloween candy). But a post I read from a friend kind of reminded me what Valentine's Day really is for me. While it may come boxed in red or pink and largely pushed upon us by the retail world, Valentine's is a reminder of what--and who--is important to us. As my friend put it (loosely paraphrased here), it's not all about Romeo and Juliet (we all know how that ended). It's about all the other kinds of relationships we have in our lives--Spongebob and Patrick, as she put it, or whatever caring, laughing, and enjoying life partnerships work for us. Whether those relationships include flowers and candy (on a regular basis, or on Valentine's) or not. Whether there is intense romantic drama, or just a better life because we are connected.
 

There was some chocolate in my Valentine's, and I am always grateful for chocolate. I am even more grateful that I have people I can eat chocolate with--and laugh with--every other day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment