Thursday, February 27, 2014

Did You Go To Work Today?

Yesterday, as I was telling my family about various things I had done during the day, my daughter asked, "Mommy, did you go to work today?"
 

I laughed and replied that I had, of course, gone to work--I had just been very productive on my way to and from work, and during the lunch break that I don't usually take. I had probably accomplished more in the time that I had grabbed than I would have been if I hadn't gone to work!
 

They say that if you need something done, you should ask a busy person, and perhaps that's true. My list of things done might have sounded like a full day of errands with no time for work in between--it was actually more than I remember accomplishing on the days when I was home unemployed. Sure, those days were spent culling through job leads and composing killer cover letters (that, at the end of the day, resulted in very little forward movement). Those days also included moments of staring into space, trying to accomplish, but knowing that there would likely be time tomorrow for what I couldn't finish that day.
 

When we are busy, we never really know what we'll have time for tomorrow, so somehow, we squeeze as much as we can into today. The results can be amazing.
 

Not every day will be as productive as that day. But thanks to an innocent question from a kid, I was reminded of how much I CAN do in a day. Perhaps there's hope for clearing that never-ending "to do" list...

No comments:

Post a Comment