Thursday, February 6, 2014

Take Me Seriously

I am sitting at my work computer, dressed well (jewelry, even!), and I am editing with a Muppets Band-Aid on my thumb.
 

The Band-Aid protects no huge injury--just a hangnail. The injury is not what makes this blogworthy. It is the Band-aid itself that got me thinking. When I was working in soaps, I joked that wearing things like crazy leggings or a cow costume on Halloween "screamed 'take me seriously!'" Now that I am working on the news side of things, you'd think I'd be even more worried about being taken seriously. And yet, here I am with a Muppets Band-Aid.
 

What I am finally learning, after half a lifetime in television, is that the people who are taken seriously are not the ones who refuse to give in to color and joy and mirth. They are the people who work hard and accomplish things, and aren't afraid to be true to the things they love while they're at it. I love the Muppets. Did my Muppets Band-Aid keep me from working hard and accomplishing today? No. On the contrary, glancing down at Beaker and Animal as my fingers flew across the editing console actually helped me. Reminded me that I am more than just a person editing news. Reminded me that any day, I could be the person who also works in children's media. Reminded me that I am allowed to be me, no matter what I'm doing. Reminded me that, even in the midst of chaos, it's okay to laugh.
 

The Muppet Band-Aid has come off. Perhaps the moment has passed. You can still take me seriously. Just not too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment