Monday, February 24, 2014

Undone

For some people, Sunday is a day of rest, or a day of family, a day of gourmet brunch, or a day of special dinner. For me, while Sunday might sometimes include one or more of these things, it always, always includes getting things done. Once the week starts, things may fall by the wayside in the chaos of work and school, so on Sunday, things must be done.
 

The only problem is, every Sunday seems to end with many things undone. Bills not yet paid, rooms not yet cleaned, milk and bananas that might need to be replenished at the crack of dawn.
 

You'd think that after years of weeks started with things undone, I'd be better at Sundays--more determined, more efficient, more organized.
 

Not so. What I have gained, however, may be a bit more important. For years, the things that were undone come Sunday night had me going to bed anxious about starting the week. What's different now is that I don't let the undone make ME come undone. If I've accomplished a lot, fantastic. But if the Sunday brunches, or Sunday dinner, or just some Sunday rest keep the checklist from being completely checked, that's okay. I go to bed anyway, and somehow, things work out.
 

Weeks may always be crazy, and Sundays may always be Sundays. But if "undone" is just a state of affairs rather than a state of mind, then, believe me, we'll all be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment