Monday, June 23, 2014

Gifts That Keep On Giving

Tonight I won a Daytime Emmy. "How is that possible?" you may ask, since I haven't worked in Daytime for close to a year. Well, Emmys operating the way they do, this was for work from a year ago, specifically my part on the directing team of One Life to Live's online version.
 

I did not go up on stage in LA, wearing sequined clothes and a giant smile. I watched the win, courtesy of live streaming, on my phone, at my dinner table, with my children, but even across the country, my colleagues could have heard my kids--and me--scream when the winner was announced.
 

I won't lie--it will be exciting to have another golden statue arrive on my doorstep. But as I watched a director with whom I've worked for years give the acceptance speech, I was thinking about more than just the statue. For that handful of months in Connecticut, at the place I fondly referred to as "Soap Camp," I was part of a group of people who came together and believed we could create something great. Something familiar, and yet new. There were late nights, and long train rides, and moments of utter confusion, but mostly, there was the coming together of a bunch of people dedicated to continuing--and furthering--the soap medium.
 

It has been almost a year since all of that finished. But as I watched tonight, I was reminded of what a gift it was to be a part, not just of that winning directing team, but of the One Life to Live/All My Children effort as a whole. It didn't just give work to me and hundreds of other people. It gave new hope and a new home and new excitement and a new challenge to us all.
 

The Emmy is thrilling, to be sure. But the gift of what got us to that Emmy is one that I will never forget. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment