Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Who We Once Were

As people began to know about my Emmy, I found myself explaining how it was that I went from being part of an Emmy-winning dramatic directing team to editing video at a news channel. It wasn't that the Emmy itself made this transition unlikely. Rather, the Emmy was a conversation starter with people who didn't really know where I came from. And a way into where other people came from as well.
 

Early on in your career, it's easy to hear people's job stories. When you're the newbie, people are more than happy to regale you with tales of how they got to where they are. And when you continue to work in the same area, you begin to be the storyteller. And when you come up through the ranks, you find similar stories along the way.
 

Later on, and as you transition to other areas, as I have, moving forward becomes the focus. It becomes far more important to do well in your current role than to look back on your past ones. And somewhere along the way, it's easy to put aside those past roles, and redefine yourself in the new ones. It's a matter of adaptation. Of survival.
 

Today, because of the Emmy, I had the opportunity to talk a little about who I once was, and along the way, I got to find out a little bit about who some other people once were. It was a lovely eye-opener.
 

There's nothing wrong with adapting to who we are today. That's practical, and it's healthy. But sometimes, it's nice to be reminded of who we once were, and in the process, find out who the people around us "once were" as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment