Saturday, June 21, 2014

Heavy Lifting

As I walked to work, carrying heavy audio equipment I had just purchased, I saw a woman hailing a cab, a toddler in her arms, and a not much older child by her side. In the moment I noticed her, I felt relief at not having a child young enough to need constant lifting (not to mention another child alongside, but essentially dependent).
 

By the time I'd walked past her, I was laughing at myself. You see, the equipment I was carrying, which probably weighed almost as much as the toddler, was for a project for my daughter. So, while I may no longer be carrying heavy children in my arms, clearly my schlepping and taking responsibility for children is far from over.
 

The woman with the kids would be vigilantly watching her kids all day, making sure they were fed and safe and asleep on time, and in that moment, I was in awe of her. I've been there, and it's not easy. But, as I realized, I too would be spending the day worrying for my kids--just in different ways. Would I get the heavy packages home safely to my daughter? Would the project for which I'd bought them work out for her? Having spent the time buying the items, would I be home in time to deal with dinner or whatever else was needed? Would I be making enough at work to justify having made this purchase to help my child? The immediate concerns may look different than carrying a child for a day at the park, but in some ways, they are very much the same.
 

I am happy to report that the packages made it home in one piece, and that my arms survived the journey. I hope that the woman with the two small children can say the same. For both of us, the "heavy lifting" continues tomorrow. Because, no matter how old our kids, that's just what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment