Friday, June 27, 2014

Tourist at Home

Today, I happened upon a giant Cracker Jack box. You know--that sugary popcorn and peanut stuff that would make you smile and your dentist cringe? It was huge--a replica four times my size--and I even walked away from the promotion with a box of the sweet stuff. It was like being a tourist in my own city.
 

Living in New York City means I am constantly surrounded by tourists and tourist destinations, yet, most of the time, my kids and I are too much in a rush even to think about enjoying any of the attractions. Between school and work and the various other commitments that go along with them, it sometimes feels as though we could live anywhere, since we don't have time to stop and see what's around us. When I was out of work, I thought I might do more "seeing" in my newly free time. But out-of-work free time doesn't go too well with paid entertainment, so the weeks came and went, no tourist days among them.
 

What I realized yesterday at the Cracker Jack box was how many opportunities there are to be a "tourist" at home, just by looking around rather than racing, head down, from place to place. Being a "tourist" isn't just about paying admission to see the sites. It's about getting a feel for a place, enjoying what it has to offer. And I am lucky to live in a city where many of the things "offered" are just out there to be seen.
 

There won't always be a giant Cracker Jack box in my path. And I won't always have the time to walk slower or take alternate routes. But if I can look up from time to time, I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more sightseeing. Here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment