Sunday, June 22, 2014

Word of Mouth

I have learned  in my job searching that personal connection generally does more than any amazing cover letter that you can send. It's simple, really--if someone knows you or knows someone who knows you, you become instantly more interesting than if you are just a bunch of words on a piece of paper.
 

It turns out that most of life operates the same way. Tonight, my daughter and some friends performed the cabaret act that they have been preparing for weeks. The concert ran just an hour, but it was the result of fierce dedication to rehearsal and an ongoing belief that something like this was possible and necessary.
 

As I looked out into the audience, I saw not only family and friends of the kids participating, but the faces of many of the people to whom my daughter and I had spoken about the event. At that point, I realized what "word of mouth" really means. Whether in job searching or in life, no sign, flyer, or resume really holds as much weight as a person saying, "You should come," or "This is a person you should meet." Pieces of paper might create awareness, but word of mouth creates attachment.
 

I was happy to see that my daughter's event was a success, both in terms of performance and in terms of audience. It was a fantastic evening of song. It was a tribute to dedication and friendship. And it was a reminder to both of us of everything that can happen with a little word of mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment