Thursday, June 19, 2014

Living in Cyberchase

I feel as though I am living in Cyberchase. You know, the cartoon show where the kids are constantly saving Motherboard from The Hacker (and learning about math along the way)? Okay, not really, since I am no expert on the inner workings of the computer, but between editing early morning at home and editing all day at work, it feels as though the computers and I have become one, almost as if I enter the computer in the morning and come out for dinner at night.

I have been editing for a long time. Why is it, then, that I suddenly feel this way after all these years?

1. Learning curve. While I have certainly been learning things all along, I finally have the time and curiosity and necessity to learn more. So I am exploring the "whys" and the "hows," things for which I just used to pick up the phone and call a troubleshooter.

2. Material. Whether it's news at work or music and theater at home, I am fascinated by how many ways I can tell a story with editing. And the more fascinated I become, the more deeply immersed in the computer I find myself.

3. Exploration. Just like those little Cyberchase kids, I find myself always trying to work out a new problem. And I hesitate to walk away before it's solved (risking being late to work from home editing and late home from work editing).

4. Slight disorientation in the non-computer world. Hard to imagine the Cyberchase kids just living in a regular world, right? Some days, I find it challenging to transition back from living in what the screen and the keyboard are telling me.

I figure all of this is just a really good education--in editing, and also in kids' TV. Today--Cyberchase. Tomorrow--hmmm, we'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment