Sunday, August 24, 2014

Making Air--And Decisions

On any given work day, I must make hundreds of choices--how to start a video, how long to make it, what parts are important, whether I will answer a phone or leave it for someone else. Some of these are important choices, some are trivial, but either way, most of them are made quickly, with not a lot of looking back involved.

You would think that with so much experience in split-second, "make air" decisions, I would have no problem making decisions in the rest of my life. The problem is, while work may involve "making air," life involves a lot of other "making"--making kids happy, but also making them good people, making things work, but also making sure I can pay the bills for the making, making the most of our days, but also making sure to leave energy for the next days, making fun foods, but making sure to eat healthy ones as well. The list could go on. The point is that while hundreds of our daily decisions can be quick and clear-cut (particularly if our jobs demand that), we are constantly called upon to make decisions that are not so clear-cut, especially in that deciding moment. "Making air" is one thing. Making the most--and best--of life is something entirely different.

Just as I like to think I learn something new on every job, I guess I learn a little more about making decisions each day. I may never have learned enough to make it easy, but I'm trying. And I'm grateful for the ones that, like a decision made to "make air," leave me able just to move on to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment