Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Revisionist History

It was back to the drawing board on my book chapter today. It is not a simple thing to write a book with twenty people, so now comes the part in which my chapter must gel with the others. So, against the backdrop of an unscheduled hiatus from work, I generated some new story, some clever (I hope!) conversation, and a few (fingers crossed!) meaningful thoughts. It was, I believe, a productive day.

Yet, surrounded by the walls of my apartment, and this and other tasks at hand that needed to be accomplished but wouldn't create fireworks or income, I was thrust back to the feelings of other days--days when I was job-searching and believing I might become a full-time writer and sequestering myself in my apartment, lest I spend money or stray from my path of trying to get things done. I was struck by how quickly those feelings jumped back into my consciousness. They appeared as I typed, and as I gulped a cup of tea to keep my mind going. They appeared as I struggled to complete things and as I realized that my working time was done and the task of making dinner was upon me.
 

Just as stories we read take us back to other stories or to experiences we've had, the circumstances of my day today were just a little too close to those from my not-so-distant history. While we all may aim to move forward daily, we can't help but be influenced by our history, whether it's life history, or work history, or a little bit of both. The key, I guess, is to revise it enough to work with the other chapters of our lives, so that our history informs us, but doesn't stop the action, so that it helps with (we hope!) clever conversation and (fingers crossed!) meaningful thoughts. And so that it becomes just a part of the story that we manage to revise each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment