Friday, October 3, 2014

Science Fairs and Lab Assistants

My day started with an early morning meeting for the school science fair. While I am our family's resident proofreader of scientific papers, I can't call myself a scientist. But when your kid wants to do something, especially something that doesn't involve a video game or a bag of candy, and that might even be a step toward getting him into the college of his choice (well, at least maybe the middle school of his choice), you do what you have to do.
 

I was not alone. Surrounding me were moms and dads doing the same thing I was--reading the handouts, taking notes, asking questions about this unknown thing that had clearly become the talk of the kids in the school. And even in my under-caffeinated state, I found myself proud of my kid, and proud of myself for supporting what he wanted to do, not just what would be convenient for us. My scientist child may not do a study that saves the world, but I am doing my part to make sure he can do some experiments that help him discover something. I guess you could call me his lab assistant.
 

Life is full of discoveries--big things that we try to make happen, so that we can find out stuff, or make money, or feel like heroes. It's fun to be out front for those discoveries--no question. But as in a lab, not many of those discoveries would work without lab assistants--people who keep things running over time and keep things organized behind the scenes. Who provide support, so that the primary investigator can do the great studies and think the great thoughts. Today, I was just that--the person who showed up and took notes, who got the details and wrote my name on the sign-up sheet, so that my young scientist can make some discoveries (and likely, a mess along the way).
 

Sometimes it's fun to step back from being the primary investigator all the time, and just be the "lab assistant." Even if your name tag really just says "Mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment