Thursday, October 16, 2014

Standing By

In control room lingo, somewhere in between "floor is ready" and "5, 4, 3, 2, 1," there is the phrase "standing by," which means ready and waiting for the producer or the director or whatever comes next. Standing by can last a moment, just before a countdown, or much longer, if all the necessary parties are not quite ready. And if it drags on too long, "standing by" becomes "standing down," a kind of "at ease" place, so that people can relax if it's going to be a while.
 

When "standing by" is just a kind of "get ready," it's exhilarating. It's that moment just before you make the creative leap, the second just before you give it your all. When it lasts longer, it's just the opposite. It robs you of those creative juices. It uses your anticipatory energy and leaves you with nothing to show for all your readiness. In that case, standing by becomes just what it sounds like--remaining still while things just happen around you.
 

It occurs to me that when I was working as an AD, I tended to avoid the "stand by" step at all costs. If I could go right from "floor is ready" to "in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1," I was much happier, and I would venture to say, the day went quicker. Which makes it not so surprising that these days, "stand by" is a phrase that pulls the life right out of me. Neither life nor TV production is really about standing by. Rather, they are both about jumping in--being actively involved, and moving the day and the project forward. When we "stand by," we often miss out, both on the experience, and on the excitement that comes with it.
 

So, whenever I can, I'll be skipping the "standing by." Life's too short, and there's too much to do. Floor is ready? In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting musings. I feel I'm "standing-by" in several different areas, after job interview and wait for a project to make it to the next step so I can proceed (think we're both in that space on that project) but I think I realized they're really more in stand-down at this point. So I guess I can let those go for now, relax and focus on something else I don't have to wait on.

    ReplyDelete