Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Contribution

There are days (like much of today, actually) when I wonder what I am contributing. If I am wandering through a day too sleepy to accomplish much, what I am contributing? If I do a job that affects people I can't see, what am I contributing? If I can't fix what needs fixing or solve what needs solving, what exactly am I contributing?
 

And then I am reminded that the advice I give from my own experience, even if it's just a tidbit in a moment of coherence, is a contribution. I am reminded that the dinner I get to the table, whether made on my own or picked up (possible because of the money I am making working) is a contribution. I am reminded that each phone call or email in which I lend support or clarity or information is a contribution.
 

Sometimes, the contributions we make are obvious--we have a job that helps people directly, we donate our time or money to a charitable endeavor, we participate regularly in our children's activities, we speak out about things that matter. More often, however, our contributions are in the form of making each day work just a little better--because we are contributing salary we've made, sharing insights we've gained, or offering support because that is what we are able to do.
 

Worried you're not making a contribution? Think again--you're probably giving a lot more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment