Saturday, November 14, 2015

Getting To Be There

Having worked in television for quite some time, I am used to watching content online or on TV and wondering how it was made, and what it was like to be there during the production, often even wishing I might have a job working on it.
 

Tonight, what I was watching online was not a television show, but live streamed Shabbat services at the temple where I am a member. Sitting at the desk in my apartment, I was suddenly transported to a different place, out of the mundane preparing of dinner and picking up of dirty socks and into a room filled with song and celebration and community.
 

I have been in that room live. There have been times when schedules worked out and circumstances fell together, and I was there, among friends and strangers, absorbing the sights and sounds and feelings. Tonight, on a night when circumstances did not come together, I was able to be be there, differently, but there nonetheless. And for that hour, I really felt a part of it.
 

It's one thing to watch video and think that your greatest wish would be to have a job working on what you're watching. But to watch video, and be brought along as if you really were there, is a wish I never even thought to wish for. And a very lovely gift for a Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment