Saturday, November 21, 2015

Getting In, Part Four: Introductions

As I listen to my daughter's introduction of herself in her college audition videos, I can't help but be reminded of the introduction she so effectively learned when taking karate. I don't imagine that either her love of performing or her confidence in presenting herself began there, but it probably didn't hurt to voice that introduction over and over before presenting in a karate class or at a large tournament.
 

As I continue to watch, I see how much of life in general goes into her performance. It's hard not to see signs of the triumphs of her young life and of the difficulties she has faced along the way. It's hard not to see hope--hope for a positive outcome, hope for success, hope for the future.
 

When I applied to college, the life and the confidence (was I confident?) and the hope were all poured into pieces of paper--typed essays and filled out forms and lists of school activities and accomplishments. While I may have had some interviews, I largely relied on what the papers and the numbers and the teachers said about me, and I largely hoped that was enough.
 

I listen to my daughter's introduction of herself in her college videos, and I am glad that in so many ways, she is way more confident than I was. Because these days, in college admissions and in life, the pieces of paper and the hope aren't always enough. So, if you can start with a strong introduction of yourself (in karate, in person, or on tape), perhaps you're already a few steps ahead of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment