Sunday, November 8, 2015

Partners in Coffee

A number of years ago, on the advice of a friend who knew me too well, I began having coffee. Not "having coffee" for its caffeine purposes, but "having coffee" for networking and learning purposes. And so it was that I met all sorts of people who might someday give me work, but who, for now, could give me all sorts of advice and insight into jobs, careers, and life.
 

What I am finding these days is that the people with whom I want to have coffee aren't necessarily older or more experienced than I. These days, I am finding that I learn a tremendous amount from people just starting out, people who are just beginning to explore and make choices. The paths of their lives are still very much in front of them, and their view down those paths is fascinating. They are brand new in the ways that I was, but savvy in ways that I wasn't. They are both freed by technology and tied down by it. They have ideas and are not afraid to express them.
 

It may be that some day, they will be in a position to hire me. But for now, having coffee with them--the people below, not above--gives me a view that is just as helpful for getting me work. If I am short-sighted, they are a reminder that there is more to see. If I am stuck in what was, they are a reminder of what is. If I am worried that my years have been for naught, they are a reminder that nothing is for naught, as long as you are learning along the way.
 

So, on my friend's advice, I am having a lot of coffee. And thanks to my coffee partners, I'm making sure I'm staying perky along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment