Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Snack and a Drink

Yesterday, I took my son for a snack between getting him off the school bus and taking him to Hebrew school.  True, I probably should just have carried a snack with me, but I was running errands on the way, so I just didn't.  And honestly, I thought it would be fun.  So into the local drugstore we went.

Drugstores are almost as stocked as grocery stores these days.  I could have steered him toward a banana and a bottle of water (good Mommy!), but hey, bananas are supposed to be a quarter, not a dollar.  A dollar for one banana!  And ever since my pediatrician told me I could give New York City tap water to my newborn baby, I've been pretty resistant to spending money on bottled water.

So, before we knew it, we were in the snack aisle.  My son has a big sweet tooth, so I was almost relieved when he chose chips over candy.  Relieved about chips? (bad Mommy!) Well, they are cheaper than the rice cakes.  And I was secretly hoping he'd give me a few.  I'd never buy chips for myself, but sharing?  I'll do that! (really bad Mommy!)

And now, for a drink.  As he moved toward the sodas, I thought, we could do juice, but that's sugary, and he probably won't be interested.  Diet soda?  Maybe.  And the soda is $2.oo?!  Caffeine?  Well, I certainly wanted some for myself, but for him?  We could go with diet caffeine-free, but wait, the store brand is half the price.  Half.  And the only diet in the store brand is not caffeine-free.  Will it kill him (or his Hebrew school teacher, who might have to deal with a buzzy kid)?  Maybe he'll actually get an otherwise exhausted but now engaged kid (bad Mommy justification!).  

Was I going to make this choice on price, sugar, or caffeine?  Because, let's face it, we make choices like that every day.  How much it costs you, how it makes you feel right now, how it will make you feel later.  The gym costs money and hurts now, but makes you feel good later if you can get into your jeans.  A job costs you getting up and out everyday, but (at least ideally) makes you feel satisfied and gives you money you can use later.

In the end, we went with the half price diet with caffeine.  And since, after all our negotiations, he only had time for a few sips before Hebrew school, I don't think anyone suffered.

Next time, maybe I'll pack that snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment