Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Expecting the Unexpected

At 5:00 when I wake up, I really believe I can do anything.  By 7:00, when everyone is up, some under duress (sad how morning-person-ness is not hereditary), I'm not so sure.

The thing is, even with the best of Dayrunners or iCalendars, you can never really, really know what your day will bring.  Today, I went to work, my head calm in the knowledge that I had successfully handed off things I couldn't do to people I trusted (because it was after 7, and I'd had that "can't do everything" realization).  Happy in the knowledge that our babysitter was back in our lives and in the knowledge that there would be money in our bank account.  And with all this happy calmness, I tootled off to edit pictures and voices and music.

Now, on my way home, less than 12 hours later, my gig is on hold (no editor needed until more footage shot), I'm taking back what I passed off, and our babysitter may have to disappear again.  (Let's not even talk about the bank account.)

I would like to say that expecting the unexpected is just part of the freelance experience, but the truth is, life was unexpected long before I became a freelancer.  Evidence the Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago that started with turkey dinner and ended with gall bladder surgery.  Or the directing assignment I had to give up when I got shingles.  Or the referral from a friend that got me the job at Cosby when no amount of cold-calling would have.  You never really, really know how a day or a week or a year will turn out until you live it through.  I'm still waiting to see how the rest of this year turns out.  What am I saying?  I don't even know about tomorrow yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment