Friday, October 5, 2012

Overscheduled

I believe I have just crossed the line into overscheduling mom.  I just carted my third grader on the downtown bus to pick up my middle schooler, whom I let ride the city bus with a friend, from a tutoring session for a high school test.  The tutor gave her homework, which will be on top of her regular homework and rehearsals for two plays that she's doing, plus piano lessons, and karate, and Hebrew school and...(okay, that's all for now, except for the cello lessons that await since we re-rented the cello when she couldn't bear to part with it last spring).

I really never set out to make my kids busy every moment, I swear (though there are moments when I'd like to do that to minimize their opportunity for "screen time," but that's a subject for another day).

Truthfully, I mostly just follow their interests.  It just happens they have a lot of interests.  All of which seem to come up at the same time.  And in a city where there's always something new to shoot for, it's hard not to want your child to be prepared for anything.  So here we are, negotiating how we will divide our hours, which things we might have to miss a few times, and how we will ever negotiate the travel involved (without subjecting everyone to more buses and trains than anyone should take in a week).

The intensity of this particular schedule will only last for six weeks, so one way or the other, we'll make it work--homework-wise, logistics-wise, and energy-wise.  And then we can come up for air long enough to think about doing it again.

Oh, and by the way, I got a job.  Well, a gig.

Tune in tomorrow for all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment