Tuesday, October 9, 2012

With A Little Help From My Son

By the time I got home from work and a post-work potluck dinner with the kids, I was pretty wiped, so my son offered to write my blog for me.  He started with "Hey, Tracy fans, guess what?  We've got a big scoop!"

So, in honor of his helping out, I am writing this blog about one of his favorite things.  Guess what that is!  (or just read on!)

Yesterday, at the end of my first day of work, I decided to take a cab home.  I'd earned it, right?  But before I knew it, my feet had carried me to the bus stop, where the bus came almost immediately.  Turns out this gig is a one-bus trip, bookended by just a few blocks of walking on each end of the bus route.  My son would call it magic.

And as I got on the bus, I realized how much I love the bus.  It's not that I have morphed into my son, who went from a four year old Thomas the Tank Engine fanatic to a bus connossieur.  There's just something awe-inspiring about this giant structure lit up in the dark, so you can read, or people-watch, or write your blog (yes, most of yesterday's was written on the bus ride home!). And when you're riding between work and home, it's like a mythical tunnel that transforms you from your work self into your home self.  Which, I have to say, I'm finding pretty useful after months of mostly just having a home self.  Even just two days in, I am finding that, just as not working brought up all sorts of feelings that weren't just about work, working ends up being about so much more than just work.  It's about taking the bus and making a lunch (and enough snacks to get through the day).  It's about making schedules and making them work.   And it's about having your son offer to help out when you come home tired.  

I guess day two was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment