Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Old Friends, New Friends

During the course of today, I heard from two former coworkers, as well as some friends I haven't seen in years, but whom I had emailed about this blog.  In a phone call and multiple emails, it was as if I'd been transported back in time, even if the conversations were not face to face, and the people we talked about have aged considerably.

At the end of the day, I shared snacks and conversation with other Hebrew School moms, many of whom I'd perhaps seen but never talked to.  When I was working many hours each day, I never would have had this experience.  A babysitter would have picked up my kids, and I would have been racing home just to have dinner with them.  I would never have met any of the other moms, much less had actual conversations with them.

It occurs to me that one of the perks of this freelance life is the ability to straddle multiple worlds, and more importantly, actually be able to focus on each one.  When I was working full-time, I once said that I was everywhere and nowhere all at the same time--always running to be places, but being unable to focus once I got there.  Now, when I am picking up my kids, I can focus on them and the parents of other kids.  Now, when an old friend calls, I can talk and really focus on what we're talking about, since it is all news, and not mixed up with fourteen deadlines that have to be met.

I have encountered so many interesting people along this journey--each with his or her own story, many far more complicated than my own (What? Something more complicated than life on a soap?!). So, while my job search may not be as focused every day as I'd like it to be, I am immensely grateful for the gift I've been given--the ability to focus on friends new and old.  I can only hope that when full-time work is added back in, I'll remember what a gift this was.

No comments:

Post a Comment