Monday, October 15, 2012

Holding Patterns

I don't sit still well.  Just ask anyone who was on the plane with me the other night when we were 250th for takeoff from Laguardia.  Okay, I'm exaggerating.  We were 249th.  I practically climbed out of my skin before we were airborne.

Now, my husband might disagree.  He has seen me sit for hours at the computer waiting to see the next job ad I can answer or the next LinkedIn "person I may know."  And I do work as an editor, which means I often sit at an edit console for hours at a time.

The sitting still I'm talking about is figurative, I guess.  I don't view life as a race, really I don't, but I do find that when you combine the "want to's" and the "need to's," it really is almost impossible not to find yourself in mental and physical motion all the time.

Sadly, both job searching and freelancing are endeavors not necessarily friendly to a person in constant motion.  They may encourage constant motion--how many job ads can you answer in a day?--but do they reward it?  Not really.  Not only might there be little response, there is an ongoing sense of hog-tiedness.  A holding pattern.  Can I go after my next gig if I'm in the middle of one that may last six weeks but might be over in three?  Holding pattern.  Do I leave tomorrow free for myself and schedule child care for my kids because Employer X might call, even if most of the day has gone by and he hasn't called?  Holding pattern.  Can I think about a trip over a school break when my hope is to have a job by then?  Holding pattern.  I might as well be 249th for takeoff at Laguardia.

Lucky for me, while I'm waiting, in my head, I am writing my next blog, scheduling school pickups, and sorting the laundry.  (What, you've never sorted laundry in your head?)  No time for holding patterns here.

No comments:

Post a Comment