Thursday, October 18, 2012

Makeup

At some point in going to my son's bus stop every day, I began to notice all these small children being led around by mothers who were wearing enough makeup to be on a magazine cover.  Why?  That was the only thing I could think.  (Okay, maybe there was an element of "How?")Why would they spend so much time, so much effort, and perhaps so much money on making themselves up for the purpose of schlepping children around?  There I was, standing at the bus stop, wearing no makeup many days if I was just at home and meeting buses.

I have never worn much makeup--a little foundation and a little mascara and I'm out the door.  Maybe a little more makeup would make me look younger, or more eager, or more awake.  Maybe not.  In any case, there just always seem to be other things that I would rather spend my time doing.

So one day, as I pondered the mothers with the makeup, I thought about all the other things that makeup could mean for me....

I could spend time making up stories to tell my kids.  I could spend (and have spent) time making up new resumes for all the different types of jobs for which I apply.  I could make up a schedule for how our home will run if I am working (oh, yeah, I did that last week when I got the gig).  And I could analyze my personal make-up so that I could determine which jobs would match my personality best.

So yes, it might be true that a little more makeup on my face would make me look like a fitter mom or a brighter potential employee, and maybe I'll try that.  In the meantime, I've a feeling that my other "make up" jobs will be pretty helpful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment