Friday, October 12, 2012

Puppet in My Pocket

You may have noticed that I've been posting a tad bit later this week.  Turns out it's not so easy to work at a place across town all day, then come home, be Mom, chef, tutor, and mediator, and still get to a computer.  And tonight, I'm actually on an airplane taking what is essentially a 36-hour trip  It's been quite a week.  But no reruns here--that wouldn't be soap-ish of me, would it?  So here goes---

Earlier in this crazy week, in between 99 cent pizza and picture day, thanks to my membership in the Children's Media Association (formerly Women in Children's Media), I had the privilege of attending a puppet workshop with master puppeteer John Tartaglia--OMG, Johnny and the Sprites John Tartaglia!!  I got to stand in front of a mirror AND a camera, handling both a furry hand and rod puppet and this tiny, two-eyed "puppet peeper" I wore on my fingers.  For two hours, I may have pretended I was networking, but essentially, I was communing with my inner puppet (or my inner four-year old, take your pick).  I made those googly eyes maintain eye contact.  I stretched my eye-hand-ear coordination skills to make my puppets sing along with the music.  I even made up a voice to go with them.  It wasn't easy.  Clearly, a whole lot goes into making the puppets we all love into the characters we all love.  I have seen puppeteers work before, but that night gave me even deeper respect for what they do, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

And guess what?! The googly-eyed puppet for my finger got to come home with me!  So I can practice.  Or entertain my kids.  Or maybe make someone in an airport think I'm crazy.  Or just get a good laugh when I need one.  And hey, we all can use that!




Sent from my iPod

Check out my website--
Www.tracycasperlang.com

No comments:

Post a Comment