Sunday, October 28, 2012

Storm Prepping

We raced home today, so as to beat the possible closing of bridges and tunnels into New York.  With subways and buses being shut down and school closure already announced, it's hard not to take this hurricane seriously.  That being said, I have tried to prep, and I would like to share my short prep list.

1.  Go to Rite Aid to stock up.  On water?  No.  Batteries?  Nope.  Just toilet paper.  And chips.  Funny thing was, though the line was about 40 people deep, most of them weren't buying water and batteries either.  Mostly I saw beer and chips.  I guess New Yorkers just figure if they're hunkering down, they may as well have fun with it.

2.  Charge everything--not just batteries, but phones and i-everythings.  We may not lose power for long or at all, but if we do, my husband will still want to run his virtual farm (I know, we may lose internet too) and my son may go through app withdrawal.

3.  Make the kids do their homework.  A challenge with there being no school tomorrow, but there is no way I will be dealing with undone homework when we've had a 3 (or possibly 4) day weekend.

4.  Teach my kids to like tuna fish.  Okay, not happening.  But we have a lot of it, and in a power failure, it requires nothing more than a can opener and a fork.

5.  Clean the apartment.  Well, we're here.  And that way we won't trip over everything if there's a blackout, AND we'll have a clean apartment when it's over.  Again, not happening, but I can hope, can't I?

In the end, I just hope that a few days from now, we come out of this with electricity and with our car not sitting in a flooded garage.  And with our friends and relatives all over the place just fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment